A Positioning Statement is similar to the broader Mission Statement, but is a more refined description of how you wish to be perceived by your customers (as opposed to what you do). A positioning statement also positions you in the market place, (cheapest v luxurious, fast food v fine dining) and outlines the Market Strategy you intend to follow in order to achieve and maintain your Mission.
Creating a Positioning Statement
- Who: Who are you?
- What: What business are you in?
- For Who: What people do you serve?
- What Need: What are the special needs of the people you serve?
- Against Whom: Why are you unlike your competition?
(or, who are your partners?)
- What’s Different: What makes you different from those competitors?
- What’s the benefit? What unique benefit does a client get from your service? (another way of thinking about this is… what would NOT happen if your organization DID NOT exist?)